Friday, December 14, 2018

OBU in London #25 - August 11 (Phantom of the Opera)


 July 16 – August 14, 2018 – “The London 15” – OBU Student Abroad in London, England


This summer, I had the privilege of spending a month in England with a group of 15 students from Oklahoma Baptist University.  Dr. Lindsey Panxhi (an English faculty colleague) and myself, along with our respective spouses, conducted a faculty-led Study Abroad that spent four weeks on the ground in London teaching OBU courses to OBU students while being immersed in the culture and history of Great Britain.  These are our stories!


Saturday, August 11 – Phantom of the Opera

Good sleep last night – woke up pretty refreshed this morning.  Class at 10am, then lunch.  It was a free afternoon for our crew.  I spent almost all of the afternoon getting the budget updated.  Had enough time to go shopping with Vanessa.  We went to the corner stall guy and bought matching London zip-up jackets for me and Vanessa, T-shirts for Elaina, Mandy, Emma and Maddie.  I also bought a cool British hat.  I think it looks quite spiffy.

After supper, twelve of us went to the optional showing of Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty’s Theatre.  I’ve never seen the musical or the movie – and I thoroughly LOVED the show!  Very incredible voices among the lead roles – the Phantom in particular.  I recognized (and loved) a lot of the songs.  The theme, obviously, but also Masquerade, and It’s All I Ask.  It was a pretty cool opportunity to attend a classic like Phantom in London!

The Theater had some sightline issues for us, but it was an amazing experience.  Unfortunately, on the way back to Pickwick, Emma realized that she had lost her wallet at the show.  I walked back to the Theatre with Emma – but they were shut down, and wouldn’t check the seats for us.  They did encourage us to come back first thing in the morning and have someone check for us.

It was quite late by the time we got back to the hostel – and Emma was obviously quite upset about losing her wallet.  She’s a very level-headed kid, not prone to these kinds of things happening to her.  We’ll hope the morning turns out well.

No comments: