Thursday, December 20, 2018

OBU in London #29 - August 15 (Homeward Bound)

July 16 – August 14, 2018 – “The London 15” – OBU Student Abroad in London, England
Reykjavik airport


This summer, I had the privilege of spending a month in England with a group of 15 students from Oklahoma Baptist University.  Dr. Lindsey Panxhi (an English faculty colleague) and myself, along with our respective spouses, conducted a faculty-led Study Abroad that spent four weeks on the ground in London teaching OBU courses to OBU students while being immersed in the culture and history of Great Britain.  These are our stories!

Wednesday, August 15 – HOME!

Up early this morning to get ready.  We had an adventure getting to Heathrow.  We took the Tube to Heathrow Terminal 4 (an hour-long ride), where we had to outwait a fire alarm.  Then we found out we were at the wrong terminal – that Icelandair flies out of Terminal 2.  It took ½ and hour to catch an airport shuttle and walk to the right terminal and go through security.  We made it, with not much time to spare.  And then found out that our flight was delayed by ½ an hour!  So we had time to grab lunch before heading to our gate.


I finished journaling in the air, winging our way toward Reykjavik.  Our plane sat on the tarmac in London for an additional 30 minutes before take-off, so our connection in Iceland will be a bit tighter than I’d like.

But I’m looking forward to being home.  Seeing the kids especially.  Between Cochrane, the Grand Canyon, and London, I’ve been gone and away from the kids a LOT (7 weeks) this summer.  I can never get that time with the kids back, but I’m looking forward to being back.  The fall semester starts very soon, and I’m not even remotely ready, so the next few days are going to be hectic trying to get ready to go.

Reykjavik
We made our connection in Iceland just fine, and our flight to Dallas arrived on time at 8:45PM.  From there, we had to get our two rentals to head back to Shawnee – dropping off Sierra and Chloe along the way.  Unfortunately, Chloe tried to bring some seeds back into the States from London – a major immigration No-No.  So she was detained at customs for over an hour, while the rest of us waited (and got more tired).  We didn’t start the drive home until 10:30.  I followed Vanessa, and emphasized to the 4 in my car how essential it was for all of them to stay awake all the way home.  Sadly, they couldn’t do it – they all fell asleep within half an hour.  Unfortunately, I then also dozed off, and was startled awake by the rumble strips; I over-corrected, almost flipping our car.  Nasty shock, and a very scary end to our long travel day.  Needless to say, after that point, we all stayed awake!  Rolled back into Shawnee about 2:00AM, with our “day” having started 26 hours earlier leaving Pickwick Hall.  What a trip!

Lord, I’m grateful for all the opportunities you lay before me this summer.  What a joy it has been to meet new people, see new places, and guide a unique and wonderful group of students for a month.  I don’t deserve the grace that God gives.  And I am so thankful that Vanessa got to share the London experience – this would not have been a healthy or happy experience without her here.

No comments: