Thursday, September 20, 2018

July 8-16 Grand Canyon Tour - Post #2 (July 8, Radisson Hotel)



In July, I had the unique opportunity to spend 9 days in Arizona, 7 of which were floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  I am grateful to Canyon Ministries for the invitation, and to the trip leaders (including Arizona River Runners!) for the absolutely outstanding experience.  I'd like to take the next little while to blog through the adventure.  Bite-sized chunks ... I hope you enjoy them.  All of the posts are transcribed from my hand-written journal that I kept while on the trip.  I tried to take time during lunch breaks, evening camps, and various other times to record thoughts and impressions - I'm presenting them here in unaltered and unvarnished fashion.


Canyon view from River (Day 7)


July 8, 2018, 8:30PM MST (Arizona Standard Time) – Radisson Hotel, Phoenix Airport

Settled into the Phoenix hotel for the night.  Flight arrived on time at 2PM local.  Got my duffle bag and waited about 20 minutes outside for hotel shuttle.  Temperature was about 106F (41C) … “but it’s a dry heat”!  Dry doesn’t make it any better!  What a stupid saying.  Mataeo (my 17-year-old son) says that even Elaina (his heat-loving girlfriend, born and raised in Oklahoma) thinks this is too hot.  We’ll see how I do with the heat in the Canyon.  Lots of water, lots of sunscreen.  Pray for God’s protection, and health.
After checking in, met my roommate, Martin Zhang, an Old Testament Ph.D. student at SBTS (The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY – my alma mater), who is from Wenzhou, China.  Really delightful young man!  He and his wife are preparing to go back to China to teach in an underground seminary there.  The seminary has sponsored half the cost of his education – a real blessing.  I pray that this contact may be fruitful in opening future ministry, teaching, and study abroad opportunities.
Our teaching sessions started at 3PM.
#1 (3-4PM) – Intro & Vision, Terry Mortenson, with AiG.  Nice to hear him openly welcome people of different OEC views as equal brothers in Christ.  Emphasized that we’re on the same team, won’t know the full picture until heaven, and he could be wrong.  Yet there is a truth, and only one age-of-earth view ultimately can be correct.
#2 (4:15-5:30) – Geology 101, John Whitmore, from Cedarville University.  Very informative.  I’ll be referring back to his material throughout the tour.  Learned about strata formation and different perspectives on the Canyon’s origins.  So far, it’s been very fair-minded.
#3 (5:30-6:30) – Supper.  Salad, penne (alfredo or tomato sauce), grilled herbed chicken, buns, and a chocolate mousse cake.  Delicious and filling.
#4 (6:30-7:30) – Canyon Ministries, Tom Vail.  Great history of the ministry, his conversion testimony, and the relation of worldview to canyon tours.
Wrapped up.  Did some email, talked with Vanessa and the kids.  No one is missing me much yet – they just saw me this morning!  I’m pretty tired.  Will read a bit and get to bed.
Lord, I thank you again for this opportunity.  I thank and praise you for the beauty of your Creation, especially masterpieces like the Grand Canyon.  Grant me an open mind and spirit.  Most of all, fill me with Your presence and love.

No comments: