Monday, September 24, 2018

July 8-16 Grand Canyon Tour - Post #5 (July 10, Camp Stop)

Small "Riffle" on the River
Wild Canyon Overhang
Mid-River Rock

In July, I had the unique opportunity to spend 9 days in Arizona, 7 of which were floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  I am grateful to Canyon Ministries for the invitation, and to the trip leaders (including Arizona River Runners!) for the absolutely outstanding experience.  I'd like to take the next little while to blog through the adventure.  Bite-sized chunks ... I hope you enjoy them.  All of the posts are transcribed from my hand-written journal that I kept while on the trip.  I tried to take time during lunch breaks, evening camps, and various other times to record thoughts and impressions - I'm presenting them here in unaltered and unvarnished fashion.
Beautiful Canyon Formation

Daniel - from South Africa
Tuesday, July 10, 2018         5:30 PM – Supper and Camp @ Lower South Canyon (mile 32)




We’ve stopped for supper, and set up camp, at about mile 32, lower South Canyon.  Campsites are really just sandbars with enough space between shrubs to set up cots with sleeping bags.  It will be an interesting night, seeing whether or not I can fall asleep in these conditions!  I suppose I’m tired enough that sleep will come (eventually).
Boats Big and Small
Even Kayaks


Australian Geologist,
Dr. Andrew Snelling
After a fairly stop-heavy first 12 miles, we went the last 20 without stopping at all.  I was hoping to see Silver Grotto at Shunami Wash, but no such luck.  There was a great set of continuous rapids from mile 20-30, really exciting ride!  Getting soaked at each one sure took the dge off the heat and made the day bearable.  LOTS to drink – an Arizona iced tea, cranberry juice, 2 bottles of water juiced with Vitalite, and another 8 bottles of water.  Sunscreen every 60-90 minutes.  So far I feel I’ve done a good job of moderating hydration and body temp.  Thank you, Lord, for Your protection thus far.
Sunset Over the Canyon
Beautiful View
Canyon Wall



Canyon Wall
With all the sweat and pee, we need lots of salt and snacks too.  Makes me a happy camper!  Lunch was good sandwiches, fresh veggies, chips and Oreos.  Morning snack was a Payday bar and an orange.  Afternoon snack was mixed nuts, half a Snickers bar, and a granola bar.  Supper will be coming soon.

Some neat folks on the trip.  B.J. is from Arkansas; youth pastor who also works Admissions at Mid-America Baptist Seminary.  He’s a younger guy, with a 2-year-old girl and ab aby on the way.  He’s adventurous – we climbed Castle Rock together yesterday, and then explored the upper reaches at South Canyon where we’ve set up camp.  I’ll try to talk more about others as time goes on.

Most of the Christian Leaders Trip Team

B.J. - my adventurous traveling buddy!

The Canyon is amazing.  At Marble Canyon the rim was 477 feet up; we’ve already passed through stretches of over 1000 feet from river to (immediately-visible) rim.  The Canyon will deepen as we progress.  There are so many layers of rock, and so many crevices and caves and overhangs and debris fields – absolutely stunning!  I cannot imagine how people made it down the river in wooden oar-powered boats.  Absolute craziness.  Many of the rapids are bounded by sheer cliffs on both sides – you wouldn’t have been able to portage around them.  Hence a lot of early river-runners died in their attempts.  We’ve already passed the drowning-spots of Frank Brown (1889, mile 12), Hansborough and Richards (1889, mile 25), and the old guy whose name I can’t remember (1980, mile 27).
Campsite: South Canyon (Mile 32) - Those are the cot sites


Captain John Dunn and Swamper Matt


Supper is ready.  Off for now!


No comments: