Thursday, September 27, 2018

July 8-16 Grand Canyon Tour - Post #7 (July 11 - Afternoon & Evening)


In July, I had the unique opportunity to spend 9 days in Arizona, 7 of which were floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  I’m in the middle of blogging through the amazing week from my hand-written personal journal.  Bite-sized chunks ... I hope you enjoy them.





Wednesday, July 11 (Day 4) - 4PM (Camp @ Kwagunt Creek, mile 57)

We’ve parked for the night.


Captain John Dunn
 We passed some fascinating spots and amazing views this afternoon.  Probably the most spectacular was at Nankoweap Creek (mile 52.5).  In addition to a beautiful side canyon with a delta-like area, there were mid-cliff granaries!  The Indians (Pueblos, I think, but maybe Anasazi?) built 5 storage caves about 400 ft up the canyon wall – a location that would have tremendously difficult to access.  This is an extremely harsh and unforgiving terrain, and the wild fluctuations in weather would make it even more inhospitable.  You have to admire the hardiness of the tribes that made (and make) their homes here. 


 



Another interesting spot was at mile 40, where they once planned to build the Marble Canyon dam.  The limestone rock strata are not at all suited for dams, and the limestone is too permeable, so that water would have consistently leaked through the walls of the dam, probably resulting eventually in a catastrophic dam collapse.  Besides, the whole upper canyon would have been flooded, meaning no one would be able to see the magnificent sights we’ve seen these past 2 days.  Fortunately, the Canyon was designated a National Park, and the dam proposal died.



Enjoyed chatting with Tom McCall, a Systematic Theology prof at Trinity.  Nice guy. 
We are on similar wavelengths regarding age of the earth, both fearing that the discussion has become more central (and poisonous) in Christian circles than it deserves to be.  He asks great questions and shares helpful thoughts.  He’s also a pretty interesting guy!  He pastored in Alaska for several years, and has driven the Stewart-Cassiar highway in BC that Vanessa and I drove in 1998.  We talked shop a good bit, comparing notes on textbooks and curriculum.

Big campsite tonight!  We landed about 3PM, unloaded the boats, and set up camp.  I found a very nice level spot fairly high up, with good shade from trees.  Mike Haggard (Military Mike), from Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary (Northeast Campus, in New York state) and Paul Brushaber (my roomie at Marble Canyon) are sharing the mini-plateau with me.  I’m sure hoping for a better night’s sleep!  Although in fairness, I didn’t feel as tired today as I thought I would.


After setting up my cot (which takes me a bit) and sorting my bags, I had a bracing bath in the river.  Even washed my hair!  Water is about 50F (10C) – pretty chilly.  But it was sure refreshing coming out of the water.  The water really helps cool the body core down.  And the water is still nice and green (clean) – the muddy water from last night’s small rainstorm washed away.

This morning was cloudy and fairly cool.  Getting wet in the rapids was actually a bit too cool!  After lunch, though, the cloud cover was gone and it got very hot.  No major rapids today.  Just a few minor ones.




Wednesday, 6:30PM (Camp & Supper)



We’ve had some group circle time, then spent time just visiting with
one another.  Supper will be ready shortly.

The food!  Has been very good thus far.  Yesterday supper was salmon fillets (fresh, generous size), rice pilaf, broccoli, and salad.  Appetizers were crackers, cheese, and spiced sausage.  Dessert was blueberry/strawberry cheesecake.  Pretty impressive fare for a river raft camp.  Keep in mind, they pack ALL the food and drink, including water, on the two rafts, and it needs to last for all 7 days on the river!  Pretty efficient setup.

Breakfast today was eggs, hash browns, and fresh fruit.  Snack was granola and candy bars, apples, etc.  Lunch was sandwiches with a very nice chicken salad mash.  I’ve been impressed by the crew’s cooking ability thus far.


Used the camp toilet for a 2nd time this evening.  It’s … pretty much a portable outhouse.  Pretty effective system, but surely not much fun for the crew to pack up every morning.



Chatted a good bit with Brett Williams, Provost at Central Baptist Theological Seminary in Minnesota.  He’s also got two girls and a boy.  Colorado born and raised – we talked shop and family.  This trip is a neat opportunity to network and get to know fellow Christian leaders.  That’s kind of the point of Canyon Ministry’s “Christian Leaders Grand Canyon Tour,” I suppose!

Our leaders: John Whitmore teaches geology at Cedarville University in Ohio.  Kind, soft-spoken and very knowledgeable.  He seems to be the most serious and sober-minded scholar of the group.

 


Bill Barrick, the trip leader, teaches Old Testament at Master’s Seminary in California.  He’s definitely the most vivacious, personable, and humorous personality – a great leader for the group.


Andrew Snelling (geology) and Terry Mortenson (history) both work full-time for Answers in Genesis.  Their institutional affiliation leads them to be perhaps a bit stronger in their claims and positions.  “Young-earth is the teaching of God’s Word, and denying that (YEC) compromises the authority of Scripture.”  They are both generous and gracious with other Christians, just not with their OEC (or TE) positions.  It occasionally comes across a bit over-the-top, but it is also fully expected on a trip promoting the scientific and theological defense of YEC.

I’m getting tired even before supper tonight.  Starting to fade.  I miss my family more tonight than last night.  It’s “slurpee” day, and Estelle’s birthday.  Not that we’d go to 7-11 anyway, but Alethea would mention it and Keilani would beg to go!  I miss their voices, I miss their faces, I miss their hugs (begrudging though they’re getting).  I don’t think my kids realize just how deeply I love them, and how much I enjoy being with and around them, and how my heart aches when I am gone.



Brett and I were talking about how we miss our wives, and don’t sleep as well without them.  Lord, I am so thankful for the beautiful, wonderful family you have blessed me with.  Thank you.  Keep them safe.  Draw them, near.  Fill them with Your love, remind them of mind.  Help me to sleep tonight, and to keep healthy on the river.

Our camping spot: Minnesota Paul, Military Mike, my cot

No comments: