Wednesday, September 26, 2018

July 8-16 Grand Canyon Tour - Post #6 (July 11 - Camp Morning, Lunch)


In July, I had the unique opportunity to spend 9 days in Arizona, 7 of which were floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  I’m in the middle of blogging through the amazing week from my hand-written personal journal.  Bite-sized chunks ... I hope you enjoy them. 


Wednesday, July 11, 2018    6:46 A.M. (Camp)


Good morning!  Well, my first night of truly roughing it went about as expected.  Directly after supper I started getting ready for bed.  We were (rightly) warned that it gets dark quickly in the Canyon, and we should be well set up before dusk.  Good advice.  My main problem was not knowing how I wanted to set up!


We each have a cot, a very plush sleeping bag, a thin sheet, a pillow, and a ground tarp.  I secured the tarp under the legs of my cot, then laid the open sleeping bag on the cot as my mattress and sheet.  That was okay – a bit warm on the back.  The sheet was then my “blanket,” which for the most part was unnecessary, as the temperature overnight was probably 84-75F (28-24C).

So I was “set up” in my bed by 8:45 or so, and started trying to fall asleep.  Then I saw lightning flashes, and began to worry about what the night might hold.  At about 9:30 the wind started to pick up.  After 10 minutes or so I realized I would need to take my stuff down off the tree branches so it wouldn’t blow away or down.

About 10:00, the rain started.  Very light droplets, just enough to help me cool off some.  At that point I realized I needed to pack my stuff into my waterproof boat bags.  So I got up and repacked and reorganized.  Then the rain started in earnest!  With nothing separating me from it, I quickly got unpleasantly wet, and decided to try “Bill’s Burrito.”  I got up (again) about 10:45, undid my ground tarp so only one corner was under each cot leg on one side, then pulled the full tarp over my cot and my body.  That kept me dry, but also made me very warm.  I waited out the rain, which petered out by 11:30, then went back to just the bare sheet.  The wind then picked up again, keeping me awake.

The worst thing about the wind was the SAND.  The wind itself was very refreshing, but it blew fine grains of sand all over me.  I was sweaty, so naturally the sand stuck to my body – and blew in my eyes (and ears and nose).  A bit unpleasant!


But one thing I’ve learned and accepted thus far in the Canyon is that you have to just embrace the sand (and the water).  You’re going to get wet.  Accept it.  Embrace it.  Your feet are going to be wet and sandy – embrace it.  There’s no point fighting it, trying to avoid the water or sand, because you would lose that fight anyway!  So even overnight, I embraced the sand – just let it cover me.

Anyway, between the wind and rain and sand, I was up past midnight already, and by then I had to pee!  Well, in the Canyon, all pee goes in the River, no exceptions.  (“Dilution is the solution to pollution.”)  My cot was 3 spots up from the river, so I had taken an overnight pee bucket, which I then had to clean and repack in the morning.  Eventually, after 1:00, I finally fell asleep, and slept fitfully until the sun came up … at 5:00.  J  I dozed in and out a bit, then got up, went to the bathroom, and packed up my campsite.  It is breakfast time now.


I survived my first night – and I trust that subsequent nights will get better.  I’ll know how to set up, and will be so tired I’ll sleep no matter what comes!  I am thankful for the sleep I did get – it was more than none.

Wednesday: 12Noon (Lunch)

Another stunning morning on the River.  We stopped at Redwall Cavern (mile 33), a very large cavern carved in the Redwall Limestone.  Terry Mortenson gave a 45-minute talk on animal death and predation in relationship to the Fall in Genesis 3.  Good challenging thoughts.  

We then had some time to explore the Cavern, take some pics, and sing a few hymns together (great acoustics!). 
Half the Depth of Redwall Cavern


View from inside Redwall Cavern

Before leaving, John Whitmore showed us a couple examples of nautiloid fossils in rocks, to help set us up for the next stop, at …

Nautiloid Canyon (mile 34.5) – an 8-foot thick layer of limestone absolutely littered with billions of nautiloid fossils – little six-inch sea critters that got buried in a massive mud flow.  Convincing argument for a catastrophic fossil deposit, and fits much more easily within a young-earth global flood perspective.  (Afterthoughts: My OBU Colleague John McWilliams notes that typically, dead critters don’t stick around long enough to be fossilized, particularly in huge numbers like we see in Nautiloid Canyon.  Hence, massive fossil deposits are pretty strong evidence for a catastrophic event of some sort which wiped out entire groups of animals all at once.  The global flood of Genesis is a good candidate for such a catastrophic event, and there doesn’t seem to be a reasonable alternative that would explain the numbers and spread of fossils.  Cedarville’s John Whitmore notes that the fossilized Nautiloids are evident in a layer that spreads throughout much of North America, and even toward Greenland and Europe – in other words, it’s not just a localized catastrophe, but an incredibly widespread (global?) event with monstrous effects.  Such evidence certainly makes me pause, and ponder whether perhaps I need to reconsider the young earth position.) 
Picture of Nautiloid Fossils ... a bit faint to discern clearly

Even I was able to discern some of the fossilized Nautiloids – hopefully the pictures turn out.

We’ve stopped for lunch at Redbud Canyon (mile 39),
where we were able to hike up a couple of ledges before the lunch call. 
Redbud Canyon
Flowers at Redbud
Up the 3rd ledge there were streams coming out of the cavern walls – absolutely fascinating that the water is able to infiltrate the rock wall like that and then produce moss, ferns, and trees growing out the side of a cliff!  Absolutely amazing.  Every leg of this journey brings new wonders.

 
  



No comments: