Friday, October 5, 2018

July 8-16 Grand Canyon Tour - Post #11 (Saturday, July 14, evening)


In July, I had the unique opportunity to spend 9 days in Arizona, 7 of which were floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  I’m in the middle of blogging through the amazing week from my hand-written personal journal.  Bite-sized chunks ... I hope you enjoy them. 





Saturday, July 14, 8:00 P.M. - camp @ Football Field, mile 137.5

I felt today that I was running out of adjectives to describe what we are seeing and experiencing!  Around every bend of the river is another beautiful vista.  Up every side Canyon is another mind-blowing sculpture.  Words (or pictures) really don’t do it justice. 

As the rain stopped, we pulled in at Deer Creek (mile 136.5), one of the favorite hiking points in the Grand Canyon.  It was a bit difficult getting from the boat to the trailhead, where I changed into my running shoes.  Deer Creek runs from about 1500 ft up the Canyon, beginning as a freshwater spring that flows out of the layer of limestone.  We hiked all the way up!  It was a bit dicey, with lots of (to me) difficult climbing sections and narrow ledges to traverse.  Apparently, this was the first time that all 24 members (and 4 leaders) on a Christian Leaders’ Trip have gone on the Deer Creek hike! 









The hike switchbacks along a carved canyon in the Tapeats Sandstone – at the bottom (nearly river level), there is a 100-ft waterfall, which remained just outside the scope of my camera.  At the top of the hike, however, were some amazing picture opportunities of the pools that flow into the waterfall.  Again, just amazing – I’ve not got the adjectives to do it justice.

The hike back down was just as dicey as the hike up, but I’m sure glad we took it.  I am again overwhelmed with gratitude to have been invited and funded for this trip.

We set up camp at Football Field, one mile downstream from Deer Creek – a nice big campsite that gets shaded early because of the high canyon wall below.  I’ll tent again tonight – I don’t sleep great in the heat, but it’s better than outside!

I had to switch back to the digital camera this morning.  For some reason my iPhone won’t take normal pictures anymore.  It will do selfies, but not the other way.  I must have gotten some sand or water in there.  Unfortunate – but then I expected to need to use the camera all the way along, so I’m happy for the iPhone use I got.

Had a lot more good conversations today – with Patrick Schreiner (Tom Schreiner’s son), Lloyd Pulley, Tom Storm, and Jason Wilson (pastor in Florida).  Jason, like me, is missing his family.  His wife and daughter are supposed to be returning from a mission trip to Haiti.  The country has had significant civil disorder recently, and there was some concern about the team’s ability to get home safely.  The not knowing is most difficult.  That helped put things in perspective for me – yes, I miss my family terribly, but at least I can have relative confidence that I know where they are and that they are safe. 

I am wondering how everyone is doing at home!  It is so different and difficult not knowing, not being able to talk to anyone at home for so long.  As awesome as this trip is, I hope to never go a week+ like this again.  How was Mom’s birthday?  How has work been for Mataeo?  Is Alethea enjoying time with friends?  How many episodes of Blue Bloods has Keilani motored through?  Is anyone missing me like I’m missing them?

Then I think forward, and realize how little time I will have with my kids before Vanessa and I leave for London.  I won’t even see Mataeo at all!  And just one night and morning with Alethea and Keilani – and I’ll need to do my laundry and repack in that time frame!  What on earth have I gotten myself into? 



I pray that my family does not pay a long-term price for the outings and adventures in the Grand Canyon and London.  Lord, my kids are so much more valuable to me than these opportunities – but my time this summer does not reflect that.  Help me, moving forward into fall, to re-orient my time and energy, and to be more intentional about finding family time and outings and adventures.  Let this lesson not only convict, but transform me.  Lord, you have blessed me with a wonderful family – every time I’ve been able to share about my family I am reminded anew how blessed and fortunate I am!  I’m able to share about a wife who still loves me and wants to talk every day – who understands me and encourages me in all my endeavors and opportunities.  I pray again for Vanessa’s comfort while I’m gone, for a great end to her birthday celebration.  

I tell my new friends about an almost-18-year-old son who is smart, forward-thinking, making positive long-term plans; a young man who not only wants to live at home for college, but who we’re happy to have at home! 

My middle child who seems to me (and to ancestry.com) to be the spitting image of me – beautiful (well, not like me in that sense), bright, cheery, sociable, smart, opinionated, talented.  A girl who can do anything she sets her mind to – the world at her fingertips.

My baby, my itty-bitty, who’s not so itty-bitty anymore.  Her laugh and smile that light up a room – her heart always worn on her sleeve.  A girl who is so much smarter and more talented than she realizes. 

Telling the guys about my family fills me with pure joy and love.  Sadness to be away, but joy for the love we share.  Hard to believe there’s only one full day left on the river – but a long one, almost 50 miles!  Only 20 today, then 50 tomorrow?!?  It’ll be a crazy day.  Continue to keep us all safe, Lord.  And be with my family.  Thank You for who You are, what You have made, and all that You have done for Your children, including my family.





No comments: