Thursday, October 11, 2018

July 8-16 Grand Canyon Tour - Post #14 (Monday, July 16, trip ending)


In July, I had the unique opportunity to spend 9 days in Arizona, 7 of which were floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  I’m in the middle of blogging through the amazing week from my hand-written personal journal.  Bite-sized chunks ... I hope you enjoy them. 


Monday, July 16, 2018, 6:15AM (at Whitmore’s Wash) 


So it was relatively late in the afternoon that we arrived at our campsite – almost 4:30.  Usually we camped between 3-3:30.  As soon as we landed, a light rain started.  I managed to get my tent set up before the rain got heavy – and then the skies really opened
up.  So we all sat and chatted in the rain.  I had been soaked all day, and then soaked through the rain – I was a bit of a drowned rat!

The rain eventually stopped, so I had a quick bath in the River and put dry clothes on.  I unfortunately had to put on my last pair of clean underwear – which means I wear them overnight and all day today!  I put all of my rain gear on – pants, jacket, and even rain shoes (over my socks – because both shoes and sandals were disgusting).  Bright side – kept me fully dry during all the evening rains!  Downside – made packing today harder.  

Last night during circle time everyone shared about their experiences this week.  It was quite encouraging and informative.  Later today, maybe on the bus, I’ll write a bit about each person on the trip.

Up early this morning.  The camps was bustling by 4:30.  We were to be all packed up and ready for the copter by 7AM.  I managed that no problem.  I had to keep my shower stuff (clean shirt, soap, deodorant) “handy” to get a quick clean at the Bar-10 Ranch.  And my duffel bag weights probably 10 pounds more than it did on the way here – all of the accumulated water and sand and dirt and sweat has made my clothes very heavy and stinky! 

So today … the copter will take us up, an 8-minute copter ride to Bar-10 Ranch on the North Rim of the Canyon.  There will be 5 or 6 people per ride, so probably six convoy trips.  Then we have a charter flight on a small prop plane from Bar-10 to Tusayan, the main Grand Canyon village on the South Rim.  Our charter bus will meet us at the airstrip in Tusayan to drive us back to the Radisson in Phoenix. 
We’ll have a quick debrief, then I’ll catch a shuttle to the airport.  4:40 flight to Denver, then the flight to OKC, then drive home.  Helicopter – shower – small prop plane – charter bus – shuttle bus – plane – plane – drive.
 
Busy day of travel – quite overwhelming to anticipate!  I can’t wait to see Vanessa, Alethea, and Keilani tonight when I get home!  It has been TOO long. 

July 16, 3:20PM

Crazy travel day, but I made it to the airport gate on time!  Hooray! 

Our helicopter ride from the campsite started at 8AM.  I’d never been on a helicopter before, so it was quite a thrilled!  I was in the 4th of 6 groups of five to take off.  Feeling the blasts of air on the ground as the helicopter
landed and took off was pretty cool!  The copter ride was amazing – very different view of the Canyon and River.  

Pretty neat to be in such a small, manoeverable craft.  Landed at Bar-10 Ranch on the North Rim – Bar-10 has a working ranch, a gift shop, lodge, SHOWERS, a heli-pad, and a small airstrip.  I had time for a quick shower – the sweet feel of running water! – and cleaned all the sand off my body, out of (all of) my orifices, and out of my sandals.  Nice feeling of clean-ness.  The way things worked, I wish I’d packed one more pair of underwear – but at least these only went on at 6PM yesterday.  Still, it wouldn’t been nice to feel totally clean after the shower.  
After showering, our charter plane was about ready to leave.  Our aircraft had some (unexplained) mechanical issues which lowered its weight capacity, so two of our group (trip leaders) had to take a helicopter (55-minute ride) to Tusayan instead of the flight (35 minute ride).  The flight gave another set of amazing views of the Grand Canyon and Colorado River. 

The adventure ended, for all intents and purposes, when our plane landed in Tusayan.  We waited for the last of our group to arrive, used the bus wifi to
Skype Vanessa – how sweet to see her face after a long week apart!  Then a 3.5 hour drive back to Phoenix, a rushed airport shuttle from The Radisson, cleared security, and here I am at my gate with 30 minutes to spare.  


No comments: