Tuesday, October 2, 2018

July 8-16 Grand Canyon Tour - Post #8 (July 12)


In July, I had the unique opportunity to spend 9 days in Arizona, 7 of which were floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  I’m in the middle of blogging through the amazing week from my hand-written personal journal.  Bite-sized chunks ... I hope you enjoy them. 





Thursday, July 12, 2018       6:34 AM – camp/breakfast


I thought night #1 on the River was rough.  Boy was I wrong!  Last night was absolutely horrifying.  Got to bed just after dark, 8:45.  Had my tarp properly situated to be able to “burrito”.  It was warm, of course.  The wind started almost immediately.  Apparently, it gets so windy at night because of pressure and temperature differences in the Canyon.  Down Canyon is considerably warmer (which means our days are going to get hotter), and at night the heat releases by blowing up-canyon.  Sensible explanations for what we experience.


Anyway, I tossed and turned in the warm & wind, and actually got a little bit of sleep.  Then, around 10:30, the rain started.  But this time it got very heavy, and it didn’t stop until 3:00.  Which means I got precisely NO sleep between 10:30-3:00.  My burrito sprung a leak.  I had the tarp nicely secured at the head and foot of the left side of the cot.  I pulled it across my body, trying to tuck the bottom corner under my right foot, and holding the top over my head.  It worked for the first bit, but with the wind and the heaviness of the rain, the bottom corner of the tarp pulled away, and water started coming in by my feet.  It seemed impractical to get up and reposition the tarp.  I would have needed to get my glasses and flashlight,
and I (and my sleeping bag and cot) would have gotten soaked while I re-positioned the tarp.  So I just endured the water seeping in.  After a few hours of driving rain, the bottom half of my sleeping bag was thoroughly soaked, as was my sheet.

Around 1AM, between the rain and the isolation, I was crying, and crying out to the Lord.  Momentary feelings of abandonment swept over me, and I blamed God for my discomfort.  Mostly, I was really just feeling sorry for myself.  When I reflected on that this morning, it seems kind of pathetic!  I have this tremendous privilege of rafting down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, primarily through the generosity of others.  My family is experiencing the sacrifice of missing husband and father for over a week.  There are billions of people around the world whose normal living situations are worse than I got last night.  So who do I think I am, that I should feel that God owes me comfortable nights in the midst of this great adventure?
















So this morning, I’m trying to keep perspective.  It’s easier once the sun is up, and I see the sun washing the tops of the Canyon walls in brilliant light.  But I am tired, and exhausted.  It was a rough night, and I miss the physical presence and comfort of my family.  Lord, please help me to maintain a God-oriented perspective, to focus on You and Your grandeur, and the majesty of Your creation.  Be with Mataeo, as he works and prepares to go camping in Colorado.  Help Keilani to keep positively occupied, and to be a help for Mom.  Help Alethea to remember how loved she is.  Comfort Vanessa with Your presence, and help the days go quickly for her.

July 12, 4:50 PM – Mile 76 (Nevill’s Camp)


We had a shorter day on the river today – only about 19 miles.  The river level rose 3-4 inches overnight because of the rain.  The river level is also affected by water release levels from the Glen Canyon Dam upriver.  The flow from Glen Canyon is based upon hydroelectric energy demands.  High energy days require higher flow releases.  The fact that the water in Grand Canyon is released from Glen Canyon also means the water is a reliable temperature: 46F at the dam, warming about 1 degree every 50-80 miles.


So, water level was higher today.  The river is also incredibly muddy (and chocolate brown) because of the heavy rains.  Side canyons would have had flash floods overnight, which washes a great deal of silt and mud down side channels into the Colorado.

The river yesterday was clear and clean, which made my bath both effective and refreshing.  No bath today!



There were 3 nice-sized rapids today, including Neville Rapids where we are camping.  But there is a lack of suitable camping sites over the next 15 miles, making this a logical stopping point for the night.  Tomorrow is promised to be the most exciting day of rapids, with three “9”-rated rapids and our only “10”.

We saw a few new rock formations emerge today, including our first volcanic rock – the Cardenas source.  The rim rose as much as 4500 ft (South Rim) to 5400 ft (North Rim) above the river level.  The pictures I’ve taken certainly won’t do the views justice, but hopefully they will convey something of the immense scale and beauty.

Another wondrous site/sight today was the “Hopi Salt Mines”.  The cliff walls down at water level were a very striking white because of salt leaching out of the limestone and forming deposits on the surface – including some that look like icicles hanging from ledges.  It was fascinating and beautiful!  Also striking is the salt’s role in Hope life.  The rite of passage for a young Hopi teen boy was to hike down the Little Colorado River canyon, then trek along the river a couple of miles to place their feather in a salt deposit and remove an already-placed salt-encrusted feather.  How on earth did these unguided boys make their way along a raging river with sheer cliff walls?!?!?

At camp we had lunch, set up our cots, then reconvened for a teaching time.  A brief little rainshower came through, and I was able to try out the Frog Togg jacket, which kept my upper body completely dry.  So, the equipment works! 

After teaching time, we went for a short hike up 75-mile canyon.  The canyon is fairly narrow, and very steep, and there is neat evidence of flash flood deposits along the canyon walls at head-height.  We would have hiked farther up, but Bill was a bit concerned with the possibility of a minor flash flood given the rain we had seen.  So we turned back toward camp.  (I would have carried on up-canyon, but I explicitly asked permission and was denied … so down we went!)

I did talk B. J. into going exploring – we climbed up the shale formation above our camp, resulting in a stunning overview about 300 ft up the canyon wall.  It was a very pleasant side trip – I am so thankful to have a reliable spelunking buddy on the trip! 

We’re in a Q&A time now.  The teaching times all week have been very good – I think there is a lot of persuasiveness and helpful material which has made me start to re-think YEC vs. OEC.  Not sure that I need to change my view, but there’s certainly more evidence (scientific) for YEC than I expected.  But the Q&A time is not quite as helpful.  I find that the leaders, particularly Terry and Andrew, get unnecessarily defensive about YEC, and quite harsh toward even potentially dissenting positions that are expressed.  That has been a bit disappointing.  It is not disconcerting that they hold their position strongly – that’s healthy and expected.  But YEC (and OEC and TE) proponents could learn some gentleness in dialogue!

8:30 PM – continued

That said, I am extremely grateful for the opportunity we’ve had this week to learn from leading YEC scholars.  There is more by way of scientific reasoning behind YEC than I realized.  Their flood catastrophe models are persuasive to some degree, especially with the evidence from the Mt. St. Helens eruption, where vast canyons were carved very quickly by massive mudslides.  Furthermore, the type of conditions necessary for fossilization was persuasive – animals that die normally decay or get scavenged – they are not left for sufficient time for the fossil layers to represent ‘millions of years.’ 

So there’s lots I’ve learned already, and lots more yet to learn.

Tonight … I have a tent.  Kevin offered his up, and after protesting mildly, I gratefully accepted.  It will be warmer, but more familiar and comfortable.  I left the doors open to cool it off, and unfortunately let hundreds of little gnats in.  But they are better than rain!  Praying for a good sleep, for me and my family. 

 

 

 


 


 





No comments: