Tuesday, October 9, 2018

July 8-16 Grand Canyon Tour - Post #12 (Sunday, July 15, to supper)


In July, I had the unique opportunity to spend 9 days in Arizona, 7 of which were floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  I’m in the middle of blogging through the amazing week from my hand-written personal journal.  Bite-sized chunks ... I hope you enjoy them. 

Blue Heron (mid-right)
Last day on the River … last full day before I get home.  Praying that my family has a precious time in worship and Sunday school this morning. 


Last night was a glorious night!  I slept just OK, but better than most nights on the trip.  The night cooled off much more – eventually, I had to actually use my sheet as a cover!  I even closed to doors to my tent and just left the windows open.  So the coolness of the night was a pleasant relief.  Even more glorious, by about 1AM (when I got up to pee in the river), the sky had totally cleared, and was FILLED with stars.  It looked just like the sky in the planetarium – it
was absolutely stunning.  It was enough to fully wake me up – I just gazed upon the night sky for probably 10-15 minutes, totally mesmerized and awe-struck.  I got my camera out and tried to get some pictures of the night sky.  None of them turned out, but it was a magical moment. 

We’ve already loaded the boats, and will have a short session before launching.  It’s going to be a long day on the boat, with not much opportunity to journal.  Until bedtime, then … 



July 15, 12:30PM – lunch @ 161.3 Mile Camp

We’ve stopped for lunch at a shady little spot, mile 161.3.  We’ve covered about half our distance for the day – so we’re making pretty good time. 

I’m sitting in the very front of the boat today, which is a more exciting (and wet) experience.  We’ve had a handful of fun rapids
thus far – Fishtail (Mile 140, “5”, 10-ft drop), Kanab (Mile 144, “5”, 12-ft drop), Upset—named after Emery Kolb, whose boat capsized in that rapid (Mile 150, “6-8”, 15-ft drop), Havasu (Mile 157, “4”, 3-ft drop).  In the middle of Havasu Rapid, we stopped at Havasu Creek – a very popular hiking spot.  The boatmen had a difficult time landing us – we parked alongside sharp-edged cliffs.  After parking, we clambered along the cliff edge to get into the creek canyon.  The hike up was, again, stunning—hopefully the pictures do it justice.  At the top of our hike, we rested at a pool with gushing small cascades pouring in.  We swam and played in the water for over half an hour.  Great times!  The current was really strong in the creek, as it is pouring down quite an incline, and there has been a good bit of rain the past week.  There was a big rock in the middle of the creek at
the bottom of one cascade where, if you could wade out to the rock, you could grasp a little ledge on the upper inside of the rock, hang on, and allow the powerful creek to cascade over you – it was a wonderful massage!  If I were braver, there was also an air pocket directly under the rock – but my mind played scenes of me getting stuck under there and drowning, so I kept my head up.
About half of our river mileage today was through “the icebox,” a section of the Canyon where the river turns (basically miles 145-152) and the Canyon walls entirely block out the sun.  In the shade,
the air temperature drops about 15 degrees (Fahrenheit), and any dampness results in a slight chill.  Being at the front, I got the most wet AND the most cold!  It was the first time on the trip that I have been legitimately cold!  But it didn’t last long.
Lunch time! 






No comments: